Monday, December 22, 2008

Day 2 and Day 3 of Potty Training.....

(this is what Gracie thinks about potty training)

I know you all are so terribly interested to read how the potty training fiasco is going. Well I am here to report as good as can be expected. I am mostly writing this to remember what to do for our next children. Kip asked his mom what she did with all of them, and she said that she couldn't remember. And Kip said, "how could you have forgot something so awful?"


DAY 2 of potty training Gracie,


I changed her into her panties about 8:30 in the morning, she then held her blatter, no accidents, and no going in the potty until 4pm, yes that's right 4pm. That is 7 1/2 hours! Kip and I were starting to get worried, but when she woke up from her nap at 4pm she had an accident. Then we went to kip's parents house to watch the BYU game and she was doing pretty good. She came into me in the kitchen and said, "Mommy, poo poo, oh no, pants off!" Then I rushed her into the bathroom and she sat for a minute, but then wanted to get off. Then she went into Kip and said, "Poo Poo." So Kip sat her on the potty and the same thing....nothing. Then she ran in to get me again, and said, "Poo Poo mommy." So I took her into the bathroom and.....nothing. Then she ran to Kip and we started watching the game again, and smelled poop. To me this shows she really knew it was coming and wanted to do the right thing and tell us but was too scared to do it in the potty. And then before we left she had a pee accident. So only 2 accidents in one day. I felt like she was getting better.


DAY 3-Sunday


In the morning I was reading more things about potty training and well, changed my method. BAD IDEA. Gracie relapsed more than anything. I read that you need to be firm and tell the child that it is their responsibility to go potty on their own, and when they have an accident they help clean up. This coming from the "Potty Whisperer" as they call her, who trains kids in 5 HOURS! Well let me first say when Gracie woke up in the morning her diaper was completely DRY. YAY....but then mom had to get all crazy and change the method, we all camped out in the kitchen and played toys and just stayed there during this new potty training method. Well long story short Gracie had about 6 accidents, BUT peed on the potty twice! Then it was time for church. We were sitting in sacrament meeting and Gracie said, "PooPoo." So I took her into the bathroom and sat her on the potty and, Nothing. So then we went back into sacrament meeting and she was dancing around, and before I knew it said, "Uh-oh poo poo." So you can only imagine how embarassing that was. Kip took her into the mens bathroom. That's right the mens! So we are all in the luxury suite stall (handicap stall) and poo everywhere, really gross, really messy, so needless to say we went home and missed church. I was really sad because we missed church before Christmas! Anyway.... we went home and camped out in the kitchen again and gave Gracie a LOT of water, and then she went pee on the potty. It was great. No more accidents the rest of the day. Except we did put a diaper on her before we went to my uncle's house for dinner around 5pm. But, I was so tired of accidents at that point Kip and I both felt a sense of releif! :0)




I called my Aunt JoAnn, very discouraged and told her everything, and she said. "You're a great mom and doing everything right, this is how it happens." I really needed to hear that. So today is Day 4 and Gracie is still sleeping. But, I am pretty nervous for today I have a lot of errands I need to run, but you can bet I will be bringing a lot of extra clothes. I also am buying a small book today on the matter. We will see what I learn.....
(Gracie loved life before potty training!)

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

I'm so sorry Lindsay..potty training was awful. I did the potty party. Where I just made Stella sit on the toilet and I read her books and let her watch a movie...etc. Meanwhile I fed her drinks after drink after drink to maximize how often she would pee. So then she would just pee sitting there while watching a movie. We would cheer and clap and give her a treat. Etc. we did this literaly all day so that she knew what it was like when she had to pee, etc. Then she finally got to the point where she would want to pee for a treat. Poop was a trick. We had to get out the big guns...The Little Mermaid movie...she wanted it so bad she finaly pooped on the potty and then I kept giving her dollar store stuff for poops. That's funny how many times I've said pee and poop. Anyway...keep doing the reward system and hopefully it will get better. Stella was 2 and a half though...Gracie may be younger than that. It's hard stuff.